Our week 6 and post Christmas holiday national rankings are out and official. With all of one post Christmas holiday tournaments in the books, we have our top-25 and “next five” rankings posted. It was another fun and exciting week in the world of high school hoops and there were nothing but close and interesting games and matchups all week long. We have made a few shifts in both our top-25 and “next five” and you can find out which programs did just that below. We have a couple new faces inside our top-25 national rankings.
1. Montverde Academy (FL) (13-0) – The Eagles continue to dominate the competition nationally after going 3-0 in the John Wall Invitational in Raleigh, NC last week. The Eagles defeated Kevin Boyle’s old program now known as The Patrick School (NJ) 77-32 in the title game. Oklahoma State commit 2020 PG Cade Cunningham combined for 41 points, 22 assists, 13 boards, and only 3 turnovers in his route to winning most valuable player of the tournament. Montverde will now head to Memphis this weekend to compete in the ARS Hoopfest.
2. Oak Hill Academy (VA) (21-1) – The Oak Hill Academy Warriors have been off since capturing the Iolani Prep Classic title back on December 21st and will not play a game again until late next week on January 10th where they will face Bishop Walsh (MD) as part of the Rock the Ribbon Classic.
3. Prolific Prep (CA) (17-1) – Prolific Prep was off last week for the Christmas holiday and have not played a game since the Chic-Fil-A Classic in Columbia, SC. They will be headed back east to Kentucky to play in the Mustang Madness Showcase and where they will face Word of God Academy (NC) and West Oaks Academy (FL) in back-to-back days.
4. Sierra Canyon (CA) (14-1) – The Trailblazers dropped their first game of their amazing season last night to in state rival Rancho Christian (CA) in overtime as part of the Classic at Damien tournament championship. 2020 W Ziaire Williams made his official Sierra Canyon debut as well posting 28 points off the bench. Sierra Canyon will now travel to Minnesota where they are expected to face nationally ranked The Patrick School (NJ) and Minnehaha Academy (MN) in back-to-back days in the Targer Center.
5. Wasatch Academy (UT) (15-1) – The Tigers have not played a game since their first lost of the season back on December 21st to powerhouse Oak Hill Academy (VA) at the Iolani Prep Classic in Hawaii in the title game. They do, however, have two major games this weekend at the Cancer Research Classic in West Virginia and where they will face Roman Catholic (PA) and Paul VI (VA) in back-to-back days.
6. Hamilton Heights (TN) (14-0) – The Hawks stay unbeaten this season after a win over Minnesota Prep (MN) in Atlanta, Georgia this weekend as part of the Big South Shootout. Hamilton Heights will be heading to Memphis, TN this weekend to compete in the ARS Hoopfest and will face Arlington (TN) and Crestwood Prep (Canada) in back-to-back days.
7. The Patrick School (NJ) (5-1) – St. Pat’s, or otherwise known as The Patrick School, lose their first game of their early season last night to powerhouse Montverde Academy (FL) in the John Wall Invitational championship game. 2021 F Jon Kuminga averaged 26.0 points per game in three games for the Celtics. They will face Life Center Academy (NJ) on New Year’s Day before heading out to Minnesota for their highly anticipated matchup against Sierra Canyon (CA).
8. Sunrise Christian (KS) (10-1) – The Buffaloes have been off for a few days due to the Christmas holiday but will have two major key games this weekend as they are headed to the loaded Cancer Research Classic in West Virginia and where they will face nationally ranked La Lumiere (IN) and Huntington Prep (WV) in back-to-back days.
9. IMG Academy (FL) (7-2) – IMG Academy (FL) will be back in action this weekend in Memphis, TN and will be apart of the Memphis ARS Hoopfest and where they will face Tennessee’s best Briarcrest Christian (TN) and Memphis East (TN). The Ascenders have not played a game since their lost to powerhouse Montverde Academy (FL) back in the City of Palms Classic title game on December 23rd.
10. La Lumiere (IN) (9-1) – The Lakers have not played a basketball game since their first lost of the season back in the Chic-Fil-A Classic in Columbia, SC to Hillcrest Prep (AZ). La Lu will be back in action this weekend and be part of the loaded Cancer Research Classic in West Virginia where they will face Sunrise Christian (KS) and Roman Catholic (PA) in back-to-back days.
11. DeMatha Catholic (MD) (8-2) – The Stags go 3-0 in their own Christmas Event last week defeating programs like Canterbury (FL), Charlotte Christian (NC), and St. Stephen’s and St. Agnes (VA). DeMatha will head to the loaded Cancer Research Classic in West Virginia with an 8-2 overall record and will face nationally ranked Mater Dei (CA), which should be a good one.
12. Roselle Catholic (NJ) (3-1) – Roselle Catholic went 2-0 out in Delaware at the Slam Dunk to the Beach event and where they defeated Sanford School (DE) and First Love Christian (PA). Xavier commit 2020 SG CJ Wilcher is averaging 20.0 points per game so far on the season for Roselle Catholic. The Lions will head to West Virginia this weeked for the loaded Cancer Research Classic and where they will face Huntington Prep (WV) and Norcross (GA) in back-to-back days.
13. Paul VI (VA) (7-1) – The Panthers lost their first game of the season on Sunday to nationally ranked Archbishop Stepinac (NY) as part of the Slam Dunk to the Beach in Delaware. 2021 SG Trevor Keels ended with 19 points in that game while Duke commit 2020 PG Jeremy Roach added 17 points. The Panthers will face Bishop McNamara (MD) later this week before heading to the Cancer Research Classic in West Virginia where they will face top-10 ranked Wasatch Academy (UT).
14. Centennial (CA) (13-2) – The Huskies go 3-0 at the King Cotton Classic in Arkansas and all their games were very close wins. Centennial will now head back to the state of California and where they will face Lynwood (CA) as part of the Real Run Challenge.
15. St. Frances Academy (MD) (14-1) – St. Frances Academy goes 2-0 in their own Holiday Invitational they hosted last week, outscoring their opponents 198-97. The Panthers will face two in state programs this weekend against Gilman (MD) and New Hope Academy (MD).
16. Rancho Christian (CA) (14-2) – The Eagles certainly get the biggest win of the week last week with their win over top-5 ranked Sierra Canyon (CA) last night in the Classic at Damien title game. Rancho Christian has jumped 7 spots in our recent rankings after their major win. Gonzaga commit 2020 G Dominick Harris put up a game high 30 points in their win over Sierra Canyon. The Eagles will face Santa Clarita Christian (CA) this weekend in a key matchup as part of the Real Run Winter Classic.
17. Mater Dei (CA) (12-2) – The Monarchs bounce back huge last week after winning four straight games to capture the 2019 Les Schwab Invitational championship in Oregon last night over Eastside Catholic (WA). Kentucky commit 2020 PG Devin Askew averaged 17.7 points per game and took home the most valuable player honors. Mater Dei will have a few days off before heading to the loaded Cancer Research Classic in West Virginia and will face Bishop Walsh (MD) and powerhouse DeMatha Catholic (MD) in back-to-back days.
18. Long Island Lutheran (NY) (8-2) – Long Island Lutheran lost a close one to St. John’s College (DC) 53-51 in the Beach Ball Classic semifinals in Myrtle Beach, SC. The Crusaders will play in the third place game later today against St. Francis (GA) before heading back to New York. They will have a key matchup against St. Raymond’s (NY) this weekend back home.
19. Huntington Prep (WV) (11-4) – The Irish reschedule their matchup against Bristol Prep (TN) that was supposed to be played yesterday. The next four games for Huntington Prep will be interesting as they are expected to face Roselle Catholic (NJ) and Sunrise Christian (KS) as part of the Cancer Research Classic in West Virginia in back-to-back days and next weekend a meeting with IMG Academy (FL) as part of the Ascenders Classic. ESPN is expected to televise that matchup nationally on live TV.
20. Archbishop Stepinac (NY) (6-2) – The Crusaders capture themselves a major win over the weekend against Paul VI (VA) as part of the Slam Dunk to the Beach event in Delaware. UNC commit 2020 PG R.J. Davis finished with 21 points and 9 boards while Duke commit 2021 F A.J. Griffin added 18 points and 12 boards. Archbishop Stepinac will have a big game coming up this Friday night as they host Iona Prep (NY) as part of the Crusaders Classic.
21. Bishop Gorman (NV) (10-2) – The Gaels go 3-1 in the 2019 Les Schwab Invitational and take home the 5th place trophy last week after losing to Eastside Catholic (WA) in the second round of the tournament. Bishop Gorman will play Durango (NV) next Tuesday January 7th, that will be their next contest.
22. Sheldon (CA) (11-2) – Although Arizona State commit 2020 G/F Marcus Bagley was out due to injury during the Huskies time at the Torrey Pines Tournament in California, they were still able to go a solid 3-1 and only losing by two in the title game against JSerra Catholic (CA). Sheldon’s next game will be next Wednesday January 8th against Franklin (CA).
23. Scotlandville (LA) (14-2) – The Hornets go 3-0 to capture the Bob Petit East Baton Rouge Parish Tourney title in Louisiana last weekend. Virginia commit 2020 PG Reece Beekman posted 27 points in the title game. Scotlandville will be back in action next week and where they will face Dunham (LA) on Tuesday January 7th.
24. St. John’s College (DC) (11-0) – Our newest program to enter our national top-25, St. John’s College out of Washington D.C. The Cadets enter our rankings after defeating nationally ranked Long Island Lutheran (NY), Morgan Park (IL), and Baltimore Poly (MD) at the Beach Ball Classic tournament in Myrtle Beach, SC. St. John’s will play for the tournament championship later tonight as they take on nationally ranked Dorman (SC).
25. Dorman (SC) (11-1) – The Cavaliers finally make their way into our national top-25 after being in our “next five” rankings for a few weeks now. Dorman has went undefeated in Myrtle Beach, SC at the Beach Ball Classic and will have a major matchup against nationally ranked St. John’s College (DC) later tonight in the championship game. Loser could potentially be put out of our national top-25.
Neumann-Goretti (PA) (8-2) – The Saints took a very close lost last week to unranked but a very great Legacy Early College (SC) team back at the Governor’s Challenge showcase in Maryland. Neumann-Goretti did pick up a win last night against Landsale Catholic (PA) and will face Father Judge (PA) later this weekend.
Grayson (GA) (13-1) (GA) – The Rams are still apart of our “next five” and although they defeated McEachern (GA) a few weeks ago, their lost to Newton (GA) is still holding them back to be put in our national top-25. Another major win should put Grayson in our top-25. They will have a major matchup against undefeated Shiloh (GA), who just defeated McEachern, Friday night.
Gonzaga (DC) (9-3) – Gonzaga has been off for a few days since their win over McEachern (GA) back at the City of Palms Classic in Fort Myers, FL a couple weeks ago. The Eagles will be back in action this weekend as they face Bishop O’Connell (VA). They will have a huge matchup against rival DeMatha Catholic (MD) next Tuesday.
Legacy Early College (SC) (13-4) – The Lions enter our “next five” rankings and deservingly so after a major win over then nationally ranked Neumann-Goretti (PA) at the Governor’s Challenge Showcase in Maryland last week. Legacy Early College will be off until Friday January 10th and where they will face Lower Richland (SC).
Harvard-Westlake (CA) (14-1) – The Wolverines took their first lost of the season to a very good Baltimore Poly (MD) team 56-46 in the first round of the Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach, SC. Harvard-Westlake will have one more game out in Myrtle Beach tonight as they face Izard County (AR) in the consolation championship.